Tuesday, February 22, 2011

See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil

I don’t know about the rest of you, but the last couple of weeks have been very hectic, with little time for any indulgences, much less guilty ones- so I was really glad that I got to escape for awhile with Nikki Duncan. When T and the girls were talking about Nikki’s Sensory Ops series, I was somewhat skeptical. I just wasn’t sure how long she could keep my attention with a series focused on characters who had certain limited, and certain heightened, sensory abilities. Well, I was wrong, big time, and anyone who knows me, knows that doesn’t happen (or at least I don’t admit it) often. I was immediately hooked on Sounds to Die By. Seriously, by page 10, I had to find out what happened to these women that were being kidnapped and whether FBI Agent Kieralyn Beckett and NSA “listener” Ian Cabrera would end up together. I found myself intrigued by this overwhelming world of sound that Duncan paints. To think that one could learn so much from the nuances of sound, whether the sounds of fabric rubbing against fabric which can indicate where someone is carrying a gun or the sounds of passion when a lover’s heart beats fast with anticipation. Rather than pity him, you almost want to be Cabera and have that world open to you too. I was also drawn to the characters right away. I wanted to find out how Ian was blinded and scarred, who his father really was and what was happening to these poor kidnapped women, especially Kieralyn’s best friend Lena. It was an excellent blend of suspense and romance. I loved everything but the ugly cheesy cover. Sorry, but the two models are not nearly as attractive as the characters were in my imagination! I give this first book in the series 4 and a half chocolate dipped strawberries.



Cat Devon

2 comments:

  1. I so liked this book and was bummed I wasn't one of the bloggers assigned for the review so... let me just say that it really stuck with me after I read it.
    Ian was so different from my picture of a person with a disability. He was just like any hero from any romance book but with his extra abilities, I was drawn to him even more. And hello... the first sex scene gave me the shivers. KUDOS to Nikki for writing such a fabulous hero that we saw him for more than his disability (which really wasn't a disability at all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cat and Rebecca! I'm so glad you loved the story. I know how much I loved creating it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment. We love to talk about books! To keep posted on everything going on with the Ndulgent Bloggers, FOLLOW us.

And, of course, INDULGE in something TODAY.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NDULGE in Audiobooks

Aphrodite's Kiss
Like Honey
Blindness
Lifers
Given
Tease Me
Uncovering You: The Contract
Breathe Into Me
Deception
Promiscuous
Before You Break
When You're Ready
The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
Being Chase
Misappropriate
Misled
Misled
The Amazon's Curse
Night Games


Ndulgent Bloggers's favorite books »