Friday, August 10, 2012

For John Friday

I have returned from my time at the beach. I had the best birthday. I visited my favorite t shirt shop (17th St Surf Shop) and bought a crazy amount of t's, ate at Capt George's for my birthday and was fortunate enough to have spent all this time with my family and closest friend. Life is good. Tomorrow night is the Linkin Park concert and I'm so excited I think my head could pop off. Before I explode let me share my blog for this week.....

Inheritance by Christopher Paolini

Not so very long ago, Eragon—Shadeslayer, Dragon Rider—was nothing more than a poor farm boy, and his dragon, Saphira, only a blue stone in the forest. Now the fate of an entire civilization rests on their shoulders.

Long months of training and battle have brought victories and hope, but they have also brought heartbreaking loss. And still, the real battle lies ahead: they must confront Galbatorix. When they do, they will have to be strong enough to defeat him. And if they cannot, no one can. There will be no second chances.

The Rider and his dragon have come further than anyone dared to hope. But can they topple the evil king and restore justice to Alagaƫsia? And if so, at what cost?


Ok, it's done. I read all 850 pages of this book. I dedicated all my pool/sun time to it and got it read in 2 weeks. Am I glad it's done? YES! I'll be honest I was not a fan of book one Eragon. But you know me. Once I start a series I follow it thru. This series is one that I started with my close friend John who I lost a few months ago. We read this series together and discussed them in great length. I wish he could have been here to listen to me complain about everything that drove me crazy about this book. He finished it before I did and I now see why he laughed at me and said "it's gonna drive you crazy". Although the following books got better I was disappointed in the ending. Mind you that it's left wide open for Mr. Paolini to revisit this world. I see many more dragon books in his future. Will I read follow up books to this series...maybe. There are several character that I'm interested in. To sum up the book it's mostly very detailed tails of battle but that's what this book is about, winning freedom from Galbatorix. This is by no means a love story or a happily ever after. You know there is a connection between Arya and Eragon but that's as far as it gets. I was surprised by the twist in Nasuade story but that too got left hanging. I also failed to see why Eragon feels he has to cut himself off from everyone. I know he must find a safe place to train the dragons and riders but saying good bye to the only family you know seemed a bit dramatic. Again the ending was left wide open for more story.

I give this book a 3. I don't think this book is a strawberry kinda book but I'm glad to have read it and enjoyed the time I shared with John while we discussed it.
PEACE
jjg

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making a comment. We love to talk about books! To keep posted on everything going on with the Ndulgent Bloggers, FOLLOW us.

And, of course, INDULGE in something TODAY.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NDULGE in Audiobooks

Aphrodite's Kiss
Like Honey
Blindness
Lifers
Given
Tease Me
Uncovering You: The Contract
Breathe Into Me
Deception
Promiscuous
Before You Break
When You're Ready
The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
Being Chase
Misappropriate
Misled
Misled
The Amazon's Curse
Night Games


Ndulgent Bloggers's favorite books »