Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lover at Last by J.R. Ward

Lover at Last, J.R. Ward
Black Dagger Brotherhood #11
Qhuinn, son of no one, is used to being on his own. Disavowed from his bloodline, shunned by the aristocracy, he has finally found an identity as one of the most brutal fighters in the war against the Lessening Society. But his life is not complete. Even as the prospect of having a family of his own seems to be within reach, he is empty on the inside, his heart given to another....

Blay, after years of unrequited love, has moved on from his feelings for Qhuinn. And it’s about time: The male has found his perfect match in a Chosen female, and they are going to have a young—just as Qhuinn has always wanted for himself. It’s hard to see the new couple together, but building your life around a pipe dream is just a heartbreak waiting to happen. As he’s learned firsthand.

Fate seems to have taken these vampire soldiers in different directions... but as the battle over the race’s throne intensifies, and new players on the scene in Caldwell create mortal danger for the Brotherhood, Qhuinn finally learns the true definition of courage, and two hearts who are meant to be together... finally become one.



REVIEW
There are certain books in long running series that we are more excited for than others. We watch as the couple dances around each other the chemistry is palpable and the relationship sometimes volatile. Lover at Last was one of those books for me. Sometimes though we build it up so much in our minds that when it's not the EPIC story that we thought in our minds it should be we are disappointed. I have been let down by the Warden in the past so I was really trying not to over hype myself about this book. I have to say I was very happy, and while it wasn't everything I wanted it to be it was close.

There are soooo many story lines running through this book that you need a score card to keep track of everything. So I am going to give you a run down of the main stories and what I thought about each one.

The Old Laws 
If ever a society needed some updating and revamping (pardon the pun) it would be this one. OMH they are so archaic, they make Rush Limbaugh look like a liberal! Saxton is going to make BANK re-writing those laws.

Havers
I just wanted to punch him!


Wrath and Beth
Oh Lord the King and Queen are getting ready to have a throw down! Maybe kids was something they should have talked about before the whole carving your name in someone's back ceremony??


Assail
So other than Qhuay this was the storyline that was the most intriguing to me. I was fascinated by the back and forth between Assail and Sola, and talk about a cliffhanger!!!


Band of Bastards
Ok, so I am starting to like them a little bit. Throe I think is the most interesting and I really want to know more about his back story. Is he maybe related to one of the Brothers??? Xcor might have a chance at redemption after all, cause let's face it he had the perfect opportunity to place a smackdown on the Brotherhood when they were all at the meeting with the Council and he didn't take it.


Layla/Xcor - Selena/Trez
Yeah...these relationships jut have trouble written all over them!


Lessers
I was happy to see a new Fore-Lesser come into power. And talk about power I think this one might be a bit of a badass himself. I think the war with the Lessers got bumped up a notch when he took over, and it's about time.


Blay & Qhuinn
Just about the time I wanted to scream at how juvenile these two were behaving I had to stop and remind myself that even after everything they have been through they are basically just out of puberty. And boy was it obvious SEVERAL times! I was annoyed with the way both of them treat Saxton and I really hope that he finds some loving soon. As far as the sex in this book, I only have one thing to say....LUBE. LOL I was glad that she didn't completely G rate the scenes but some stretching and some lube would have made it more realistic. I mean come on even straight people have anal sex and they need to be stretched and use some lube too.

BABIES
I am so excited at the thought of more babies in the mansion. I love to see these badass fighters get taken to their knees by the little cooing. I also have a feeling that Payne is going to have to reconcile somewhat with her mother to help with the pregnancies that I think are coming.

Overall I enjoyed the book and think that the Warden has set up the storyline for a LOT more books. I for one am looking forward to the next book The King! These are my thoughts, I would love to hear what you thought so leave a comment.


RATING: 4 Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for all the reviews.
    I have used your site frequently as a source for books to read.
    Best wishes in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent Review on a book that really was hard to review. I have to agree with just about everything you said.

    Especially that this book had so many stories in it my head was spinning.. can't wait to see what is going to happen. I agree, I like Throe.. JR Ward is also pushing us to forgiving Xcor at least that is what I have been thinking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I couldn't agree more on pretty much every point! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment. We love to talk about books! To keep posted on everything going on with the Ndulgent Bloggers, FOLLOW us.

And, of course, INDULGE in something TODAY.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NDULGE in Audiobooks

Aphrodite's Kiss
Like Honey
Blindness
Lifers
Given
Tease Me
Uncovering You: The Contract
Breathe Into Me
Deception
Promiscuous
Before You Break
When You're Ready
The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
Being Chase
Misappropriate
Misled
Misled
The Amazon's Curse
Night Games


Ndulgent Bloggers's favorite books »