Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sexy Special Ops Soldiers

Thanks once again to the Guilty Indulgence gang for hosting me here this week! I write military romantic suspense because it’s exciting, and because I love the balance of danger and romance in them. I’ve always been a romance fan, but I also read a lot of special ops non-fiction because it interests me. One of my favorite parts of writing is when I can slip little bits and pieces of what I’ve learned into my stories.
I want to entertain my readers, but I also want to teach them something. Maybe it’s about what various branches of the military do, or what skill set the soldiers have, but a lot of the time it’s something about the political or military situation in the Middle East. I hate it when romance authors sugar coat serious issues in their writing, so I don’t do that. You might have noticed that my books are pretty, uh...graphic. (*cough*) I realize that level of violence in a romance novel isn’t necessarily every reader’s cup of tea, but I just wouldn’t feel right glossing over important issues simply to make it tidy and pretty. The men and women in our armed forces fighting overseas today face ugly things in a highly complex cultural/political situation, and I want to do them justice in my stories. I hope I have.
I think it’s fairly obvious in my books that I’m a big fan of the military, and that’s why I love to write about Special Ops heroes. I mean, what’s not to love? They’re brave, strong, loyal, and will do whatever it takes to complete the mission and protect their teammates. Just getting through their rigorous selection programs is an incredible feat of determination, but the sheer discipline and motivation they must demonstrate in order to earn the right to call themselves a SEAL, or a Ranger, etc... I think it’s amazing. I can’t help but admire them.
This first series of mine showcases heroes from various branches of the military: Rayne (Out of Her League) is a former Marine, Declan (Cover of Darkness) is a Navy SEAL, Ben (No Turning Back) is a former Ranger, Rhys (Relentless) is former Delta Force, and Luke (my absolute favorite, from Absolution) is a former SEAL working as a paramilitary officer for the CIA. I hope readers will learn more about what the incredible men in these elite units can do, and understand why SpecOps forces are an increasingly critical part of the U.S. arsenal in today’s military conflicts.
While it’s true that I’ve only used military men in my work so far, my upcoming release with Carina Press features military heroines as well. Deadly Descent will release in September. It’s about an Air Force Pararescue Jumper hero and an Army medevac pilot heroine operating out of Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan. It’s the first of a trilogy, and I’m very excited about it. Researching that book was so awesome I still get shivers when I think about it. Have to get cracking on the second book soon!
Thanks for dropping by, and I hope I’ve made you curious to learn more about these elite soldiers.
Happy reading,
Kaylea Cross

CONTEST ALERT!!
I am giving away a-book-a-day... one digital copy of each of my books. Follow, Comment and Win.

12 comments:

  1. What a great post. I love to read work that has been well-researched. I, also, think there is something incredible about a soldier - male or female - in or out of uniform. I will look for Deadly Descent in the fall. Good luck with the series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Becca, thanks. I'm excited to show off my military heroines :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a former navy wife and big fat supporter of special ops I can say your books do them all credit! Getting ready to dive into Brockmann's latest release but Absolution is next on my romantic suspense TBR pile and I can not wait to snag your Carina book! Keep 'em coming, Kaylea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaylea, thanks so much for blogging with us today. I share your respect and gratitude for all of our men and women in uniform and their families. Thanks so much for writing such great heroes and heroines I have enjoyed all of your books and you have definately become a auto-but author for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, thanks, Jenna! Personally, I'm looking forward to reading a very hot erotic romance by a certain author named Jennifer Hart. Or is it Lusha Lovelace? :) *cough*

    You're so welcome, Teeberger! I really admire military personnel, because I'm a wimp. I could never do what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read any of your books yet...but this blog will get me reading...Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know I love all your military heroes! So excited you've got military heroines coming out soon!! Don't enter me in the contest b/c I've got all your stuff ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The husband's an airman. He told me the younger guys get tired of being hit on by barbunnies who are looking for er, uhm, some action. Doesn't help that we have a JTF unit posted here (Canada's special ops). But then a friend in the RCMP reports that the red serge brings out some strange ladies.

    Could be performance anxiety in our younger servicemen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, Katie! Thanks for coming by :)

    50 and counting, that's too funny! You know, very few people know that JTF2 even exists. It's true. If you mentioned it to a fellow Canuck on the street, they'd most likely give you a blank look. I think the JTF guys like it that way. I've been toying with a plot line to showcase them in a future book, so I may come back to that someday. And the red serge is also sexy, except for the pants. Not so much, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful post. I have not read your works..yet. Now I can hardly wait to read them. They sound exciting and thrilling and I look forward to wrapping my mind around them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Vonda. I hope you fall in love with my heroes too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment. We love to talk about books! To keep posted on everything going on with the Ndulgent Bloggers, FOLLOW us.

And, of course, INDULGE in something TODAY.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NDULGE in Audiobooks

Aphrodite's Kiss
Like Honey
Blindness
Lifers
Given
Tease Me
Uncovering You: The Contract
Breathe Into Me
Deception
Promiscuous
Before You Break
When You're Ready
The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
Being Chase
Misappropriate
Misled
Misled
The Amazon's Curse
Night Games


Ndulgent Bloggers's favorite books »