Tuesday, July 31, 2012

It's About Time

Hi my name is Tyra, and I am an Olympaholic but I am ok with that, not looking for a 12 step program(even though I am sure my family thinks I should be committed). This summers games have been a roller coaster of emotions so far, from the highs of gold and near perfection of Kim Rhode in skeet shooting to the lows of the men's gymnastic team and we are only 4 days into competition!!! I don't know that I can survive 12 more days of this. I was already an emotional wreck coming into the games because on one Mr. TJ Klune!

That's right people I finally got around to reading Bear, Otter, and the Kid. This is one of those books that I have been hearing about since it came out almost a year ago but just kept getting pushed back on the TBR pile. Well with GRL coming up in October I am trying to read as many authors as I can that are on the attending list and so that bumped it back into the top slot on the pile. Well someone needs to slap me upside the head for not reading it sooner. OMG this book was sooo good!!! I wasn't even half way done when I started emailing everyone telling them they had to get this book and read it immediately.


Bear, Otter, and the Kid, TJ Klune, Dreamspinner Press
Three years ago, Bear McKenna’s mother took off for parts unknown with her new boyfriend, leaving Bear to raise his six-year-old brother Tyson, aka the Kid. Somehow they’ve muddled through, but since he’s totally devoted to the Kid, Bear isn’t actually doing much living—with a few exceptions, he’s retreated from the world, and he’s mostly okay with that. Until Otter comes home.
Otter is Bear’s best friend’s older brother, and as they’ve done for their whole lives, Bear and Otter crash and collide in ways neither expect. This time, though, there’s nowhere to run from the depth of emotion between them. Bear still believes his place is as the Kid’s guardian, but he can’t help thinking there could be something more for him in the world... something or someone.




BOATK goes on my all time favorite books list. It's so very real and visceral it grabbed my heart from the beginning and never let go. If you are looking for something light and fun to read this isn't the book but if you are looking for something with real feelings and emotions and the true meaning of family then this is absolutely one that you should read. Now don't get me wrong it's not all heavy emotions all the time because there is some REALLY bad poetry in it but you will definitely run the gamut of emotions with this book.

I have read books before with a similar premise but I don't know of one that made the feelings so real. When the Kid asks Bear to take him to the bathtub because he is scared and he needs to feel safe my heart broke. When Bears friends rallied around him to give him the support that he needed I smiled and cheered. When Otter left thinking he was doing the right thing I yelled. Every moment of self doubt that Bear had when he was feeling overwhelmed and like he was drowning I wanted to wrap my arms around him and hold tight.

The secondary characters are strong and add layers and history to the story. And while yes it is a love story and about two people trying to come together it was so much more. This was a story about all the different types of relationships in our lives and how they help define who we are.

Thank you Mr. Klune for writing a beautiful story about love and relationships and family!


Buy Link: http://www.dreamspinnerpress.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=2471&cPath=55_461
RATING: 5 Chocolate-Dipped Strawberries and some bacon...sorry Kid but I can't give up my bacon.


1 comment:

  1. Read book 2 Who We Are and it will complete the story and give you another book to LOVE. I just finished it and I am now looking forward to book 3.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment. We love to talk about books! To keep posted on everything going on with the Ndulgent Bloggers, FOLLOW us.

And, of course, INDULGE in something TODAY.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NDULGE in Audiobooks

Aphrodite's Kiss
Like Honey
Blindness
Lifers
Given
Tease Me
Uncovering You: The Contract
Breathe Into Me
Deception
Promiscuous
Before You Break
When You're Ready
The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
Being Chase
Misappropriate
Misled
Misled
The Amazon's Curse
Night Games


Ndulgent Bloggers's favorite books »