Thursday, December 16, 2010

HAPPY HUNKY-DAYS: Day 4....Jeweled needed a little polish



THE TWELVE HUNKS OF CHRISTMAS....on the fourth day of Christmas, my book club gave to me...a dreamy surfer santa...(my new favorite flavor eye candeeeeeee)







Hello everyone, yes we are still playing musical days here on the Guilty Indulgence blog, and I need to do a quick "Thanks" to Rebecca for stepping into my Tuesday slot because I was not prepared. We are having a snowy day here in the Shenandoah Valley and I really want to be home with my fireplace and some hot chocolate and my e-reader. I am thinking today is a great day for some chili and cornbread.

Jeweled, Anya Bast, Berkley Trade, November 2010

I had a hard time with this months book club choice, Jeweled, I almost didn't finish the book because I REALLY didn't like the heroine in the beginning of the book. I stuck it out and I am glad I did because it was nice to see the growth of Evangeline. When the book starts out she is a cold, calculating woman, whose only value is her body. Her only desire is to catch the eye of the royal who is second in line for the throne and have him "brand her" as his. I found it hard to have any empathy for this character, even after hearing that she was ripped from her family at the age of 4 and brought to live at the palace because of her magical ability, because of her attitude towards everyone else around her. She comes across as very self centered and having no respect for herself. However by the end of the book with the help of her lovers, Anatol and Gregorio, she becomes a confidant, independant woman, who finds a new way to make a life for herself.

The love that Anatol has for Evangeline through-out the book is beautiful. He has loved her from afar for years and knew there was so much more to her than what she showed at the palace. I loved the way that he cared for her and refused to let her put her emotional walls back up once they came down. I enjoyed the way that Anya built on the relationship and showed that is wasn't always sunshine and roses. I believed the way that Evangeline came to care for Gregorio and didn't feel that the relationship was rushed just to get to the sex scenes. The sex scenes were scorching hot, and added to the story and the emotional engagement of the characters.

I liked this book, but I didn't love it. I took me a while to care about these characters, but I did enjoy the way the book ended. I give Jeweled, 3 chocolate dipped strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making a comment. We love to talk about books! To keep posted on everything going on with the Ndulgent Bloggers, FOLLOW us.

And, of course, INDULGE in something TODAY.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NDULGE in Audiobooks

Aphrodite's Kiss
Like Honey
Blindness
Lifers
Given
Tease Me
Uncovering You: The Contract
Breathe Into Me
Deception
Promiscuous
Before You Break
When You're Ready
The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
Being Chase
Misappropriate
Misled
Misled
The Amazon's Curse
Night Games


Ndulgent Bloggers's favorite books »