Monday, February 14, 2011

GUEST INTERVIEW: Cherise Sinclair

Happy Valentine’s Day!

What better way to celebrate than to have Cherise Sinclair, Romance Author Extraordinaire, visit to talk to us about her Masters of the Shadowlands series. We have been looking forward to this feature week all month since we confirmed her visit; and we’re certain that you will love her (and her books) as much as we do. So sit down and indulge with us as we talk with Cherise…



Tell us how the idea for the Masters of the Shadowlands series come about?
A series? That’s so funny since I sure didn’t plan to write a series--or even to write erotic romance. You see, I’d been sick for a month, feeling ugly and unfeminine, and somehow I stumbled onto some erotic romances that made me feel female and sexy again. In response, I tossed aside the mainstream book I’d been working on and wrote Club Shadowlands--a purely self-indulgent erotic fantasy just for me. But, of course, no writer throws away a manuscript, and a crit partner, Amber Green suggested I send it to her publisher--Loose Id. They bought the book and asked for another.

But five books? I blame it on the way new Doms keep appearing in the books. They’re so intriguing and so utterly confident that I start wondering what kind of woman would shake them up. And then I just have to write the story. Book number four was supposed to be the end of the Shadowlands stories, but Master Marcus appeared--and damn, that southern accent and the contrast of his sternness and politeness did me in.
Yep. Us too!
And, I swear, in Master of the Abyss, I did my best not to introduce any men that could possibly be interesting. Really! I didn’t bring in any new Doms at all. And yet, now I’m writing a story for the heroine’s rugged cousin where the conservative cop gets lured into the dark side.
Oh my hell – we can’t wait for that book! Even though we’re supposed to be focusing on the Shadowlands, we couldn’t leave out the Masters of the Mountain so they get a special day later in the week too.

Now, we can’t talk about Masters of the Shadowlands without addressing Master Z, the original Dom that has the amazing ability to read a person which has proven important in many of the books. Why did you make this part of who he is?

Actually, I was worried about Jessica who blindly wanders into a BDSM club. She needed a very perceptive Dom. Now, an experienced Dom can be incredibly observant, but Master Z kept taking it farther to the point he was actually reading emotions. Once he started, he refused to give up that trait--despite my protests that I wasn’t writing a paranormal. Well, we bargained and he won, although he agreed to keep it very low key. (It’s pretty sad when the author loses arguments with her own characters.)
We each have our favorite master but wondered if you had a favorite or is it like when you have children and you can’t say who it is?
Master Z is still my favorite--probably because I was a virgin erotic romance writer and he was my first. Don’t y’all always have a certain fondness for your first? However, when I’m writing a book, each Master pretty hangs around, arguing over plotlines and harassing me (pushy Doms). They’re all wonderful, and honestly, I wouldn’t throw any of them out of my bed (although my husband would). LOL
Your subs tend to be more like the average woman rather than stick-thin models. As real women ourselves, we appreciate this. Why did you choose to have your women "soft and rounded"?
Oh, you’ve hit one of my hot buttons. I’m so angry with how our idiotic must-be-thin-and-young culture affects how we women think of ourselves.

When a man looks in the mirror, he sucks in his ample gut, flexes his flabby biceps, and says, “Lookin’ good, stud.” A woman, no matter how lovely, checks the mirror and moans, certain that her hips are too big, or she has too many wrinkles, or unable to see anything but her dimpled thighs. The slender women want breasts, the buxom women want their hips to disappear, hair is either too limp or too curly, skin is too pale or too blotchy, and on and on. Why can’t we look in the mirror and say, “Damn, I look hot.” But no--I’ve rarely met a woman who was content with her body, and doesn’t that just break your heart?

That’s why the message you put in your books about women’s beauty is so important.

Now I’ve always had more of a pear-shape than an hourglass figure--and I hated it. But I remember, back in my younger days… I’d bent over to pick up a dropped pencil. I turned and surprised the manager who was holding his hands up, fingers flexing as he pretended he held my ass in his hands. I could even hear the little, "mmmmm" he uttered under his breath. Was he thinking my butt was too big? Oh, no…he figured it was just right. LOL

Men really don’t see us the way we see ourselves.

So, we have to know… do any of your characters reflect your own personality?
Oh sure--me, my friends, my co-workers, my family--characters are a conglomeration of everyone I’ve met. I do have a fondness for heroines whose insecurities are mixed with a sense of humor and an “I can do It” attitude.
Your newest release, MAKE ME, SIR is unique in that it brings back, and integrates, past characters into the storyline. What made you choose to do that? (And please do it again!)
Oh, I’m blaming y’all for that. Readers sent me emails complaining that Master Z and Jessica weren’t around enough, and one woman wanted to see what would happen when Jessica met Z’s children. So I tried to just increase the time a little, and then Z yanked the story from my fingers and created his own subplot. (Do you get the impression I’m submissive?) Because of that, the book ended up being much, much longer than I’d planned. (My editor is very patient with me.)
Please, please, please tell us there's more to come. Is there another book in the series planned? Can you give us a release date?
Eeek! All right, in Make Me, Sir, I deliberately left a few story threads untied and set up some new characters to pave the way for the next book--or two. Galen and Vance want their own story.
YES! We were hoping you’d say that. Hello, sexy FBI agent Doms!!
Master Raoul thinks he deserves one also. Every time he steps forward to suggest a plot point, he’s got that damned flogger in his hand, and I’m getting an “I’ve been patient long enough, subbie” look from him. Not a good thing.

So I’m hoping to write one or two more. As for when…that’s up in the air. I usually do a story or two between Shadowlands so the last hero and heroine’s traits don’t slide over into the new ones, so I haven’t started the next yet.

As for release dates, I can’t tell you. Loose Id would probably contract and schedule the next book, but since I hate deadlines, they don’t get anything until I have a plotline figured out and know where I’m going with a story. It probably drives them buggers. LOL

Well, we’ll be waiting (impatiently) for the next release. Thank you for coming to our site today and answering our questions.
And thanks to the Guilty Indulgence Book Club for having me here today. Hugs and smooches to all the readers who’ve been so wonderful with emails and suggestions and just hanging out in the Shadowlands with me.To CONTACT Cherise Sinclair or for more information on her books, go to www.CheriseSinclair.com. She will also be commenting throughout the week here so leave a thought/ question and come back to see what she says.

22 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Is anyone here kinda ... into strawberries?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Cherise,

    I'm itching to read your next, but like choccy dipped strawberries I hold off until I've been really really good. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberries and chocolate, hot sex, hunky men--what's not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Cari! Hmm, I think it's best I don't wait until I've been really, really good--I've never get any treats. ;-)

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the blog and even more loved finding out that Master Raoul might be up next and Galen and the other agent as well .
    Thanks Cherise !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before I met Cherise, I thought floggers were bloggers with a lisp.
    Make mine chocolate covered cherries. The juicy kind that drip onto skin...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're looking forward to more, Darque! I can't wait to get started on messing up a couple of FBI agents. LOL Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh dear, DA, that could be a really fun scene. Some poor guy--Davie--picking up a young lady in a bar, telling he's really into (b)flogging. So she drags him to her BDSM club and give him what he wants. (I'm sure it would give him lots of material for future blogs. ) :-)

    Thanks for coming by--and on your release day, no less. Didn't your book Back in the Closet release today?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cherise!
    I just finished Make Me, Sir...and I am so afraid I won't do the book justice in my review. I just KNEW Vance was a Dom and can't wait to read his story. Galen, as well, piqued my interest. Both incredibly delicious. Master Raoul seriously makes my heart rate increase. You'll have to pair him up with a feisty challenge. ~grin~

    I've recently read a spate of horrid BDSM stories and was feeling a bit burned out. So when I saw your new release I about fell over the other reviewers getting to your story!

    As always a wonderfully well-written story. Keep it up! You have to keep me in my Shadowlands addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I'm so glad to hear you are planning more books in this series.
    I've got your latest on my TBR pile but I'm holding it hostage as a reward for actually getting my work done. Who says bribery doesn't work. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL. Me too, Lauren. And it's killing me not to read it. Gotta work faster so I can finally read Cherise's fabulous book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just curious - did you have to do a lot of research to make the book flow or do you just have the best imagination EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Also - thanks for putting humor in the books as well. There is just something special about a book that can make you laugh out loud (except when you are surrounded by people who are going to ask you what is so funny? and what are you reading?) Not going there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Bella! I hadn't planned for Galen and Vance to be Doms, but who else could I put in charge of an investigation like this. Hmm, maybe I should call the local FBI office and make suggestions. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lauren and Gillian--I have to laugh. I'd never considered the Shadowlands in the same category as chocolate...but now that I think about it, they go rather well together.

    Just remember, if you take too long to get your work done, I do know Doms who can administer the proper...incentives...to get you moving.

    And thank you! *smooches*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shari--writing is a lot of back and forth movement. Great idea, didn't work, but this variation might, move forward, get stuck, rip out scene, try another. And then it pulls together and I remember why I like telling stories. :-)

    Re: the humor--that's why I love my Kindle. I can hit home before someone actually manages to look over my shoulder and see what I'm reading. Whew. And with the password, I can actually leave it out. With teenagers in the house, I used to have to carry my *hot* reading out of the living room whenever I left. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Lauren, I just saw you got a Top Pick review on Sex, Sin and Surf. Congratulations and well-deserved. Ben is yummy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's it amazing how you decide to do something just for yourself and then decide to send it in. I think the weight of pressure to produce is taken away and your muse is freed to do what it does best, and baby, yours is the best!

    Keeping 'em coming, love!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cherise, I love erotic romance and can't wait to dive into your books. I also like that you have a message for women! Here's hoping some take it to heart and think they, too, are HOT! Cheers!

    I also find that women too often don't ask for what they want but assume their partner should know, and in the long run, never reach their own level of being satisfied. Ladies, make your wants known to your partner! Cheers again!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jadette, oh m/m author extraordinaire, praise from you is a wonderful compliment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tonya, I hope you enjoy the books!

    And you're so right about women being shy about asking for what they want. I think that's why so many of us have fantasies about men who don't have to be told--or who ask and demand an honest answer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. All right, so I'm gonna get all fangirly here, I can't help it!

    I am just getting into Make Me, Sir, and loving every bit of it so far! I almost missed it, being so busy with my own edits and the like, I stumbled on it and immediately purchased, downloaded and squee-ed all the way to my break to start reading it. I'm almost done, now, and on the edge of my seat, breathless. And I will freely admit, you inspire me, in many ways.

    I can't wait to read the next books in the series. I have a couple of friends in the lifestyle who complained to me there weren't enough good BDSM romances out there (they were so not looking in the right places-newbies to e-books), but you were the first required reading in the genre for them - yes, required! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, Gianna, thank you! And I'm sooo pleased you're enjoying Make Me, Sir. When it grew to over 100 K words, I started to panic that I'd never get everything finished up neatly. As another author, you've probably gotten that horrible feeling. :-(

    And required reading? OMG!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for making a comment. We love to talk about books! To keep posted on everything going on with the Ndulgent Bloggers, FOLLOW us.

And, of course, INDULGE in something TODAY.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

NDULGE in Audiobooks

Aphrodite's Kiss
Like Honey
Blindness
Lifers
Given
Tease Me
Uncovering You: The Contract
Breathe Into Me
Deception
Promiscuous
Before You Break
When You're Ready
The Hazards of Skinny Dipping
The Rise of the Hotel Dumort
Being Chase
Misappropriate
Misled
Misled
The Amazon's Curse
Night Games


Ndulgent Bloggers's favorite books »